- Start by going to WPML and select “Buy and Download”.
- Select the version that best suits your needs and download.
*Note WPML is a premium plugin so you will have to purchase it.
- In your wordpress admin area go to Plugins > Add New.
- Select Upload File then Choose File and select your WPML file then click Install Now.
- Once the plugin is installed go ahead and activate it.
Setting up WPML
- Set your current content language.
- Select the languages you would like to use on your site.
- Next customize your language switchers. Choose where you would like them to display, how they will display, etc. You can also add custom css to change the color, background color and so forth.
- Lastly, type in your site key and click Register(you should have received this upon purchasing WPML).
Translating Your Site
Translating pages and posts:
- Select either Pages or Posts in your admin area.
- Click the blue plus sign to add a translation to that page/post.
- Title your page/post in the desired language.
- Select the desired language of the page and choose whether or not you would like to copy the content from the original translation (this will translate the page content).
- Once finished, publish the page.
- In your admin area go to WPML > String Translations.
- Under each string select “translations” and add your desired translation.
**It is important to note that WPML gives you a multilingual site, the plugin itself does not translate your site. WPML allows you to have a website with two languages, and completely control the look and feel of one language versus the other. To translate your site you will need to use a separate plugin. We recommend loco translate.